Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

A Day at the Beach


I knew I was getting close to my friend's house in Huntington Beach when I saw the three people above.

For several years Gael (pronounced Gail) Pullen was the field representative to Pasadena City Councilman Chris Holden. Sixteen years ago Gael and her husband Mark went through Hamburger U, then moved with their two children to suburban Cleveland and opened a string of McDonald's restaurants.

A couple of years ago they sold the businesses and retired to Arizona, and are now living the good life in Huntington Beach. I was so happy to hear from Gael last week and happily made the trip to Huntington Beach yesterday. The view from their terrace overlooking Huntington Harbor is gorgeous.


We went a few blocks for a long lunch at Duke's adjacent to the Huntington Beach pier.


The great view of the beach and pier was only slightly obscured by construction of the venue for the U.S. Open of Surfing.


Three hours, one spectacular shrimp and crab Louis salad and one veggie stir fry later, we headed back to Gael's house and I said my good-byes. I know we'll see each other again soon.

And then there was the long drive at 4 p.m. back to Pasadena via Highway 1, the 405, 605 and 210. My heart goes out to people who commute.


Oh, and what's Gael doing to keep busy? She is the CEO of a philanthropic and leadership organization called Sylvia Global (her middle name is Sylvia), which celebrates women's empowerment throughout the world. And she has a related Internet radio show. I'm so proud of her!

1 comment:

  1. Good to see some of the zillions of $$ earned by Mickey D trickle down to some good, local folk.

    ReplyDelete