Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Keeper of the Plains


Monday and yesterday I was in Wichita, Kansas, visiting my cousin Alice. We had a great time at an event Monday evening (see those photos here!) and at about 10 p.m. we walked four blocks from her home to see the "Keeper of the Plains."

It's a 45-foot-tall (not including the 30-foot rock base) sculpture that I've seen during the day but never before in the evening when the fire pots are aflame. It was incredibly dramatic!

"Keeper of the Plains" was created by Blackbear Bosin who also supervised the installation. It stands where the Big Arkansas and Little Arkansas Rivers converge.

I went back yesterday on my way out of town to walk around the surrounding plaza with its interpretive walls...


...and visit the adjacent (and very large) Mid-America All-Indian Center:


The "Keeper of the Plains" and the surrounding area stand as an homage to the Native Americans who lived on the plains where the modern city of Wichita now exists.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, it's an important must-see.

1 comment:

  1. I have an ivory coloured knee-length dress with a black ribbon around the waist and it's kind of boring. So I want to make it more interesting but I don't know how to go about doing that. What can I add to the dress or how could I alter it to make it not so plain? Or what colour accessories and what accessories could make the look more interesting and fun? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete